Friday 31 May 2013

THE OPPOSABLE MIND: WINNING THROUGH INTEGRATIVE THINKING

The Opposable Mind book cover

This book is amazing! buy it now and thank me later.

This is easily one of the best and most important books I have ever read. It has actually changed how I think, and how I think about how I think.

The book focuses on something called integrative thinking, which is the ability to hold two opposing ideas and, rather than choosing one, you generate a new idea that contains positive elements from each of the opposing ideas into something superior.

The ability to face constructively the tension of opposing ideas and, instead of choosing one at the expense of the other, generate a creative resolution of the tension in the form of a new idea that contains elements of the opposing ideas but superior to each

Roger Martin - The Opposable Mind.

Reality Models

One of the key topics in this book that stuck with me was the discussion on reality models. This is the idea that each individual has a different view on reality, which is turn is differs in varying degrees to reality itself. This is how people develop opinions and why I think two people can watch the same discussion and come away with differing opinions

I’m fascinated by how people see reality around them and this section was very insightful. I really think this is something that everyone should read in order to try and get a better understanding of the idea. I truly think that this would be great in helping people to understand opposing points of view and even aiding people towards becoming a more understanding and knowledgable person.

Final Words

I could talk about this book all day, but I want to keep these posts relatively short and easy to digest. So, I strongly recommend that you get yourself a copy of this book and check it out. I would also be more than happy to hear about any similar books, so if you have any recommendations of your own, please leave a comment below.

If you like what I have had to say about this book you can head on over to Amazon and get a closer look.

Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment